Thursday, August 16, 2018

All About Hens / Chickens

Have you ever seen a pessimistic hen?   I have; just once, around Eastertime...


I go on working for the same reason that a hen goes on laying eggs. -- H L Mencken

Gentleness doesn't get work done unless you happen to be a hen laying eggs. -- Coco Chanel

Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid. -- Mark Twain

Just to settle it once and for all: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The egg, laid by a bird that was not a chicken. -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen. --Ambrose Bierce


It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs. -- Margaret Thatcher


I fondly remember a favourite hen in my youth who was a prolific egg-producer.  She gave and she gave. We'd eat and eat.  (I do recall seeing her followed by a bunch of little, yellow chicks at least once). 

She did what was expected of her and knew to whom she belonged.  She'd come running when I called for din-din time.   I could count on seeing her  (and our 3 dogs, kitty and 2 pigs)  like clockwork. Day in, day out.

Life was consistent and good in our little corner of the Province.  It didn't last.  We moved to the USA and left everything behind except for a couple of suitcases and the clothes on our back. Who took care of our beloved pets/animals?  I never heard my parents discuss it, but one animal was butchered. News conveyed thru a letter. Damn.  The house and lot went back to the legal owners.  I resorted to praying for the other animals' well-being for months afterwards, but I never knew what befell the rest of them.

Lord, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
 So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts.
Ps 104:24-25



6.10.2.18

No comments:

Post a Comment