Friday, April 2, 2010

1971 Eisenhower Dollar

My parents seemed fond of  these  1971 Eisenhower  dollar coins .  We found several of them in my Mom's  bank box; and I got two dated 1971 with a D (minted in Denver, CO)  above the dates;  and a 1972 coin without the D (minted in Philadelphia, PA).  What I was most happy to have was the acrylic-encased 1971 coin because I knew its history.  Circa 1971, my parents had opened an account with the First National Bank of Chicago (now Chase Bank) with a large minimum balance,  and received this coin as a bonus.  I remember my Dad looking  rather pleased with himself for getting  his prize.  It remained on public display on the shelf of our wooden shadow-box on the dining room wall, only to disappear a few months back.  I searched and searched, and finally found it. In the basement. Behind the bar. On the floor.  I happen to take a glance back there, and saw a paper bag stuffed-full of ceramic cups, souvenirs and trinkets.  Close to the top of the pile was this $1 treasure. Boy, was I excited.
Thank You, God!


No comments:

Post a Comment