Sunday, August 4, 2019

Recipe: Filipino Pandesal (salt bread)

In my youth I would be woken at approximately 5:00 a.m. either by the Rooster or by the neighborhood boy loudly pitching his fresh, locally-made (Manalo Bakery) bread rolls through our neck of the woods. 

"Pandesal --- Manalo!!" 

 My Dad was also up and invariably purchased a dozen or so. We had no oven of our own so we had to buy them from the town bakery via their sales boy.  I could barely stay in my bed another minute.  I was excited to start my day with these hot-from-the-oven goodies dipped in my "coffee" or slathered with a favorite jelly. Life was simple and so good!

PANDESAL (recipe by A.P.M.)

2 eggs
1 cup water (lukewarm) or warm 2% regular milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable or corn oil
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups Gold Medal bread flour
1 packet yeast


Put all the ingredients in the order above into the breadmaker pan
Use the "dough" cycle until done.
Take the dough out and form into round  shapes, 

or cut them into little rectangles. Makes about 25-30 pieces.
Brush with oil and roll them into regular bread crumbs and arrange in a bread pan. 
 Let rise until they are double in size.  
Bake for 10-15 mins or until light brown at 350 degrees
Enjoy!!

baked by my teen-aged daughter


we used this brand for bread flour, pc: amazon.com



No comments:

Post a Comment