Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Decor Advice for the Novice

Lord willing, we are going to completely renovate our two bathrooms, re-do all of our floorings (except the bedrooms), replace our Roof, and maybe tear down a wall and re-do our entire kitchen. Talk about fear, numbness, and paralyzing indecision on my part!  Added to the mix is the inability of our busy Contractor to give us a firm starting date other than "...sometime at the end of April".  

 We must also make room in our packed-to-the-rafters home to accommodate the boxes and boxes of supplies and parts that will eventually be delivered.  What to keep, what to throw away, what to donate?!!  And dogs --- the bark at any and all strangers/noise variety -- I have 3 of those, eeeek.

pretty tiles & toenails

A very good hint from Domino Magazine:

"Hi! Melissa from @thefauxmartha here with inspiration for adding character to a new build.  To build something out of nothing is an amazing experience.  But it's also stressful from the sheer amount of decisions you have to make -- to everything from window selection to trim height to door hinges.  Don't be afraid to scale back and go simple.  A quote I live by from Leonard Koren: 'Pare down to the essence, but don't remove the poetry."

In my case: for each room that is to be renovated, I choose one or two essentials; things that I really, really like; at prices that aren't too excessive.  Then, I'll encourage hubby to decide on the rest.  He knows what I basically want (nothing tooooo ugly). He'll find them quickly and most likely at a bargain price. He's good at that.  Tada! My stress level will remain within normal range, and he'll feel like the boss-man that he thinks he is, ha!


Of "essence" to me at the moment:

1.  A modern light fixture I've had my eye on for 2 years; pricey, but discounted.


2. Patterned ceramic floor tiles for one of the bathroom floors at a price (89 cents each) that didn't break the bank. I needed 17 boxes of these. They will be installed in a random pattern which is quite popular nowadays.


3. Free-standing Tub









***********

No comments:

Post a Comment