Saturday, November 25, 2017

List of a Few Memorable Lincoln Laureate Winners

I chose these guys deliberately.
Vandercook College of Music:
Sat next to Daniel's parents & Voice Prof. during the convocation. Daniel is pursuing a Voice and also a Percussion Major. If my son ever wants to change his degree to Music Education, this school may be a good option.

pc: the lincoln academy of illinois
Wheaton College:
I couldn't ignore WC, of course!  Tryphena does not know my WC sophomore son personally, but daughter Jill (who sat next to Tryphena) made sure to mention his name. I showed the picture to son and he does not recognize her, nor the academic representative.  BTW, I was rather surprised that our friend's son, Caleb G, did not win the award for WC. Talk about student involvement!
pc: the lincoln academy of illinois
McMurray College:
I met Professor O'Hearn at the pre-convocation continental breakfast. Friendly and eloquent.  We discussed Politics a little. Did not seem surprised that I am a Conservative. She is a writer.  I want to read her book when it's eventually published.


Aurora College:
We met Tia during the pre-convocation breakfast. She does speeches often -- I admire this ability in anyone.  Her Mom was not at all surprised that she had won. It's rather usual for her to get an award, says she. As young as Tia is and while still in college, she's already married.


pc: the lincoln academy of illinois

Trinity International University:
What a pleasant surprise! Till the day of the convocation, daughter had not known that Margaret was chosen as the Laureate of her Uni. She is my daughter's old friend whom she met while they worked at Lake Geneva Youth Camp. Small world!


Judson University:
Andrew was the winner at my oldest son's Alma Mater.  Yay!


Trinity Christian College:
Son in Law Daniel attended Trinity Christian College during his freshman and sophomore years.   Congrats to Roberto!

SIU-Edwardsville: 
Keelah was the winner at my second-born daughter's Alma Mater. Our daughter got a full-ride at this school.  Good times!

SIU-Carbondale
Dr Goldman, the academic Rep for the winner Kara, was friendly and spent a few minutes talking to me and hubby before the convocation. He had a hand in the decision of who got the  2018 Order of Lincoln Award -- which he rightfully could not yet divulge to us at the time, though we had jokingly asked for the names, LoL.  My daughter's Father-in-Law graduated from this school many years ago... back in the day when it was memorable for being a party school.

Last, but not least, East-West University:
I was looking forward to meeting this particular Student Lincoln Laureate winner.  EWU was my former employer -- back in the day when I was newly married and had only 1 child. During this season in life & while employed there, I made at least two very important decisions that I would change in a heartbeat if it were possible. Whenever Hillary Clinton spoke of glass ceilings, this was what I thought of while there: "And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass..."  (Deut. 28)

The pay was low, and the lack of advancement obvious.   Far more important, priceless things were waiting for me at home. Why didn't I quit sooner? Sigh. Lord, give me beauty for ashes.

Anyhoo, I am grateful for the work experience. Told Laureate-winner Kisha to give the head honchos my regards and a sincere "Hello!"


Sound advice from King Solomon to all the student laureates (and to young Moms):







********

No comments:

Post a Comment