Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Teaching an old Dog new tricks: Noxzema & Toilets

Lesson 1:  Our 6 children and our cats were never ones to play with the toilet bowl and its contents, so we had no need for the item below.  My first encounter with the toilet-cover lock would have earned me an F-grade; and the inventor an A+ because it actually works! I found it impossible to open the lid. Had to humble myself and be shown how to unlock it by youngest daughter ( it's a two-step process, you dum dum).  It is not as easy as it looks, dear reader. You have been warned. 
Safety 1st Swing Shut Toilet Lock

Lesson 2: I began re-using Noxzema about 5 years ago.  My girls also loved it. One day, youngest daughter was looking for our bottle, and asked "Mom, where's the Noxzema?", pronouncing the product  as  “no-eczema”.  I found our bottle, and lo and behold, the label does look like it's pronounced as she said.  

Fact is, that was the basis for the marketing of its name as we now know it.  Its  was originally called Townsend R22 by the inventor, Dr. Francis Townsend.  In what is now a well-known legend, one customer told Dr. Bunting (who was given  the formula, and called the product, Dr Bunting's Sunburn Remedy), “Your product knocked out my eczema!”.  Realizing he had a brand name, he repackaged it as Noxzema



pic credit: wikipedia