Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Almost a dog-mauling

kitty hiding from the big bully

The first two years of Y the male dog's life are a blank.  He was picked up as a mixed- terrier stray from the mean streets of my daughter's town. After their first walk with him, my daughter knew for certain that the dog absolutely detested cats. She and husband adopted him anyway. However, I had never felt more afraid than when Y attacked -- not our kitty shown above -- but our beloved/helpless/innocent/cute/dumb/sweet little Shih Tzu, Cadeau, she with the bum hip and all. 

Cadeau

Y had come in and after getting a whiff of our two dogs and the cat, seemed tense.  We managed to keep the cat out of his reach; so he focused in on the next smallest animal -- poor 
Cadeau.  Y somehow managed to wiggle out of his leash (under my watch, sigh ....) and walked stealthily down the hall.  By the time I noticed his absence, he had gotten to our youngest daughter's  bedroom where Cadeau was peacefully dozing.   He grabbed Cadeau's tail, and let that go; then grabbed her neck area and hung on. There was growling, yelping, and barking as poor Cadeau desperately turned this way and that in her attempts to shake-off Y's hold. My loud screams mixed in with our daughter's just-as-loud yells did nothing to help the situation. I felt helpless, terrified yet incensed. How dare this punk of a dog try to hurt my pretty and innocent puppy?!! My husband, God bless his soul, finally gained control of the situation and managed to separate the two (I had never been more grateful for the presence of a strong and decisive human alpha male).  Tufts of hair were in Y's mouth and Cadeau's fur had saliva all over, but no blood was drawn and no bones broken, thank God. Hubby made certain Y now KNOWS who is top dog in our household, and it is not a four-legged would-be Jack Russel Terrier who was a former stray. Love me, love my cat and dogs with bum hip and all, kiddo.

I really want to like Y. He's cute and affectionate to humans, and now seems to like our bigger dog; but with this brawl we were off to a bad start.  The Lord Jesus Christ help us!