Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lessons from Summer Camp: Brushing and Bullying and Knives

The boys enjoyed their week at camp; and we certainly missed them here at home. A couple of events were eye-openers for me. First, we were told that two Camp kitchen workers almost got their fingers sliced off while on cutting/dicing/slicing duties during meal preparation. Beware of sharp knives! I am thankful that DS was nowhere near a knife as he was a volunteer dishwasher. Lesson learned --- knowing how to handle a sharp knife begins at home. Jared needs to do even more cutting/dicing/and slicing while in our own kitchen. He will then be prepared and injury-free if he were ever asked to help the Camp's Head Chef/Cook .

Second, youngest DS' forgetfulness regarding brushing his teeth was personally embarrassing. He didn't brush his teeth - not even once. Oy! I blame myself for his inattentiveness. Obviously, he was not brushing his teeth often enough here at home either, but I hadn't noticed. Lesson learned --- daily brushing begins at home. To help him remember, after lunch, while I brush my own teeth using sink A, he will simultaneously be brushing his teeth using sink B. Repeat routine after dinner.

Third, bullies go to camp too. A boy was housed in AJ's cabin who'd cause fights, pull hair, and act in other inappropriate ways. Supposedly, the boys' Camp Counselor was right on top of things, and DS even says "...he wasn't toooo bad", so I'll not go on with this subject. Lesson learned --- Cristian-run Camps are not bully-free zones.

The oral hygiene fiasco got me thinking of my responsibility, as a mother, to teach our children useful skills. Below are pictures of Farrah and AJ well on their way to learning that keeping a house clean is a very useful skill; benefitting our home now and freeing me to do my other duties, and benefitting their own homes in the future.