Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Catholic Sister Who is No Flying Nun

Sister D had a near death experience as a toddler.  Was in a coma for a couple of weeks. Her Mom prayed a lot (and made promises to God in exchange for D's life??). D's mom thus gave her whole-hearted blessing when D wanted to enter religious life as an adult. Her Mom told me so in person while we sat together at a table during a party.

Sister D currently holds a job in the field of Education.  People often go to her for counsel. I am certain that most of the discussions are about the here and now. Yet when our discussion at the table  came to the hereafter, D came across as an ignoramus.  She hedges, she waffles, she gives her opinion. When I quoted scripture, she would give the "that was then, this is now"  answer. She's pretty much put God in a box -- unable to help and hindered by real life in these modern times.

Sadly, tradition, personal opinion, ritualism, and superstition are the mixed bag that Catholics draw upon for answers. The majority can give no assurances of eternal salvation because the Word of God is not their primary resource. Yet Sister D thinks that God will somehow be impressed that she has given the appearance of a commitment to Him via her membership in the Clergy. As Texans sometimes say: "Big hat. No cattle."

I noted that Sister D was wearing jewelry; one of which looked like a gold wedding ring.  This was something new to me.

Sister D: *points to her ring*
         I will never have a baby out of wedlock.  I am married to God.
           
Me: (oh, really?!)
        What is that necklace you are wearing?

Sister DWolf's teeth.  The Wolf is my spirit guide.

pc: Etsy
What a spiritual dud!  Here's a lady of influence who is a card-carrying member of the catholic clergy and whose supposed husband is God.  Yet she chooses to disregard God's Word and would rather a spiritual (read demonic) Wolf direct her life.  And she's convinced that she's got the key to heaven's gate to boot.  Effing, unbelievable!! 

Me:  Sister D, none of what you've said is biblical!

Discussion follows. It got loud. Sister D had various objections.  I gave my Biblical responses. In the end she does not believe most of what I say. She got offended, though -- literally crying on her mama's shoulder as I walked out the restaurant door at the party's end. Hooooooh boy. Too much of my answers must have stung -- like salt. (What happened to being gracious with my words?  Heck no -- not with other people's eternal life at stake.  Can you imagine how much more confused and lost people are after talking to this foolish lady?!).   Have mercy on her ... and on me, O Lord.  

One of many Biblical assurances of eternal salvation in Christ alone.







***

No comments:

Post a Comment