Thursday, February 22, 2018

Preacher Billy Graham, Class of 1943

We learned today (Feb. 21, 2018) that Billy Graham '43 LITT.D. '56, Wheaton's most well-known alumnus, has entered his heavenly rest. The Wheaton College family worldwide grieves his death with members of the Graham family and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association team, and rejoices with them that this beloved servant of the Lord has completed his journey and is at home with his Savior. A special memorial website for Billy Graham is available at wheaton.edu/billygraham.

Billy Graham preached the gospel to 215 million people in live audiences in 185 countries and territories at more than 400 crusades, missions, and evangelistic rallies. His influence for the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ is beyond human measure. He provided spiritual counsel to every president from Harry S. Truman to Barack Obama and was sought out by countless other political and religious leaders around the world spanning several generations. Renowned for his humility, transparency, simplicity and integrity, Billy Graham proved faithful to the end as a "prophet with honor." 

From the day he first set foot on Wheaton's campus in September 1940, and soon met his beloved wife Ruth, Dr. Graham remained a booster of Wheaton College. Through the years he went out of the way to encourage each of Wheaton's presidents. It was because of his love for Wheaton that the Billy Graham Center is one of the most prominent buildings on our campus. 

I was just starting high school when the Graham Center was dedicated and Billy Graham preached to a huge crowd on Wheaton's front campus. I was there that day, sitting on a picnic blanket and listening to Dr. Graham preach the gospel he loved to proclaim—the good news of forgiveness for sin and the free gift of eternal life through the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Like countless others who heard Billy Graham preach, I re-committed my life to Christ. 


Now the Lord has taken Billy Graham to heaven. It is where he belongs, and where in recent years he has been ready to go. When I met with Dr. Graham during my first year as president of Wheaton College, he spoke freely and openly about his hope to be with Jesus soon. 

In his 1997 autobiography, Just As I Am, Dr. Graham wrote,

I don't know the future, but I do know this: the best is yet to be! Heaven awaits us, and that will be far, far more glorious than anything we can ever imagine. As the Bible says, "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is" (I John 3:2). This is the hope of every believer. It is my hope, and I pray that it will be your hope as well. I know that soon my life will be over. I thank God for it, and for all He has given me in this life. But I look forward to Heaven...Most of all, I look forward to seeing Christ and bowing before Him in praise and gratitude for all He has done for us, and for using me on this earth by His grace—just as I am.

Lisa and I, along with other members of Wheaton's community, will be traveling soon to attend Billy Graham's memorial service in Charlotte. Please join us in praying for Dr. Graham's ongoing legacy and for all who grieve the passing of one of the church's most effective evangelists.

Philip Ryken
President
Wheaton College, IL








************

No comments:

Post a Comment