Sunday, November 6, 2016

I do not want to play Post Office

 I usually answer with a quick and honest "No" to a US postal worker's rote question of whether I am mailing anything that is restricted, liquid, perishable, hazardous, or prohibited.  Recently, I felt compelled to add more detail to my answer.  To my utter surprise and horror, the USPS clerk said that my little  item was considered a hazardous material. It is  mailable - but has specific restrictions. 

 It can be transported, but only via domestic surface transportation (read: very, very slow truck). So, after my $10 loss on its sale on eBay, I had to shell-out even more money to mail it to my buyer. However, scripture reminds me that in everything I must give thanks. If I had been unthinking or dishonest in my response  and the item had ended up as the source of an explosion or damage on a plane, I  would have personally been fined thousand of dollars.  Shiver-me-timbers. Honesty truly is the best policy.  I have also made up my mind that I will never sell this type of item again, no matter how high end the designer name nor how limited the edition.

ETA
:  After this recent experience, I was not at all surprised by  the recent ban on Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices'  on all flights.  




Providing for honest things,
 not only in the sight of the Lord, 
but also in the sight of men.  
2 Corinthians 8:21






USPS List: Restricted, Hazardous, Perishable Items

June 30, 2016






15.12.28.17
********************