Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kentucky Derby May 2010

I do not wager, but I have a love for horse-racing that goes back to my Summers with Grandma Consuelo in the Philippines. She used to partake of the local Carreras which were also televised. I remember having a fondness for odd-color (read: white) horses and for the underdog. She and my uncles may have won often enough because she was never in a foul mood as far as I was aware,  hehehe.

Life lessons  I've watched these types of races enough to know the following:
  • the first one out of the starting gate does not always win
  • being the odds-on favorites does not guarantee a victory
  • the fast-and-furious racing style may mean that the horse fizzles out on the home stretch
What may lead to a win?? The 3 Ps --- patience, pacing,  and position --- and the jockey who knows how to properly combine the three!

I love the name of this year's winner, "Super Saver"
I want to keep an eye on the fabulous(!) come-from-waaaay-behind second-place winner, "Ice Box"

I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong... Ecclesiastes 9:11




**