Thursday, November 13, 2014

Brunch at Rainbow Drive-in, Honolulu





 Oahu Hawaii Diary, Part 2:  On our first morning in Honolulu, it was decided by other family members to have Brunch @ Rainbow Drive-In --- for a taste of authentic local fare.   Once we got there, I quickly realized that there was no AC (!), and scanned the area for shade.   The humidity was already high when we got up early that morning.  Sigh. Got quickly tired of scanning the menu board.  I let my son decide what to order for the both of us and sat down at the most comfortable-looking spot in their outdoor dining area, and chatted with others.  What son brought to me was fried eggs, meat pattie (reminded me of an 
 On•Cor  Salisbury Steak) on a bed of rice; and macaroni. Huh?!! The food looked too normal. 
 I could  do the dish at home.  It may look appealing to a hungry surfer, but what about a tourist like me?  Why couldn't I get  octopus or seaweed or  exotic fish or something ... anything ...  that was abundant in Honolulu, but expensive to obtain at home?  Second sigh...  Thank You, Lord for this food, amen. So I ate and kept on eating, though the food was bordering on luke-warm and was a little bland.  My oversized cup of iced water was good, though. 

 Here are pictures of a couple of other dishes that family members raved about, surprisingly: 

Portuguese Sausage



SPAGHETTI WITH WIENER