Sunday, October 19, 2014

Real Money

 I'm excited about this. I received several birthday gifts which were generous and sweet, but this one in particular was a first.  I had mentioned it in passing a couple of weeks previously as a "good" gift. I did not say where it could be purchased, nor how much it would cost.  Lo and behold, two of the kids actually heard, and followed through. Woohooo!




The Silver American Eagle Coin is legal tender and has a face value of $1.  It contains 1 troy ounce (31.1 grams) of .999 fine Silver.  The rest of the coin is Copper for durability. Why has this coin found favor in my eyes in recent months?  It is  affordable -- Silver's spot price is currently hovering @ $17 per ounce;  it is real money; and it is the world's only Silver bullion coin whose weight, content, and purity are guaranteed by the government of the United States. That can not ever be said of the trillions (Quadrillions??  Quintillions??)  of US paper money  floating around.  Yes, further research on my part is needed as to the place Silver can play in our portfolio which is currently heavy on the equity market. It goes without saying that I do value my husband's advice, and the wisdom found in God's Word:

Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.  Ecclesiastes 11:2

My special day was topped off by the good company of old friends, one of whom bought me & R a strawberry cake from a long-time favorite bakery, Lutz Cafe & Pastry Shop .  Oh, yesss! 






***